Wednesday, March 22


My Navy career began as many have at Great Lakes Naval Training Center. I entered boot camp in 1973. 

I was appointed Recruit Chief Petty Officer of our class. After boot camp, I was admitted to Hospital Corpsman School. also located at Great Lakes. In 1974, I graduated from Hospital Corpsman School and was accepted into the Operating Room Technician program, also at Great Lakes Naval Hospital. Graduation from Operating Room Technician School, I expected to be assigned to a Naval Hospital. I had asked, for some reason, to be assigned to the Charleston South Carolina area. So, when we received our assignments, I was surprised that I was assigned to the USS Sierra AD-18. A Destroyer Tender at the Charleston Naval Base. 




HM3 Kurt Fink, aboard USS Sierra AD-18 during Med. Cruise 1977



The 
Naval Station Charleston, S.C. Located in North Charleston, 
USS Sierra AD-18 (1975 - 1977)
Served at Hospital Corpsman (Operating Room Technician)
Received Sailor of the Quarter Honors from Captain Shaid
Was honored to fill in for a fellow sick corpsman aboard the USS Bowen FF-1079.
What a ride, had to take my seasick pills most of the time. 
Promoted to Petty Officer Second Class 
Was honored to be accepted to go to Naval Base Coronado, San Diego, CA 
Decided to leave the Navy and use my GI Bill and further my education at Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville, IL.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed.